About Hay & Brecon
The history of Hay & Brecon Farmers dates back to 1902, when the West Breconshire Farmers Association was formed. Within six years, it has expanded, purchasing its first horse and cart, and also opening the branch at Sennybridge. Before the outbreak of the first world war, the association had purchased the Smithy at Sennybridge, and opened for business in Brecon.
Over in Hay-on-Wye, the Hay & District Farmers Co-op was formed in 1919, with its premises located on Brecon Road. Four years later, the co-operative purchased its first lorry, while new stores were opened at Ely Place.
By 1935, an extensive business in Builth Wells had been taken over, and a year later, Eagle Stores (right) was acquired by the West Breconshire Association, and a plant for rolling, milling and mixing was set-up. By the time the second war war had broken out, Penybont & District Farmers had been taken over.
Various developments took place in the fifties and sixties, including the erection of a mill in Hoel-y-Dwr, Hay-on-Wye, and the modernisation of the Ship Street store in Brecon (left). The Wool Depot in Builth Wells was also purchased. Come 1976, the Penybont outlet was rebuilt, and four years later, a similar redevelopment took place in Sennybridge.
1981 saw Hay & District Farmers move to Newport Street, while the Brecon base moved out of the town centre and onto the Ffrwdgrech Industrial Estate at Llanfaes in 1984.
Just a year later, Hay & Brecon Farmers was formed as the two organisations - West Breconshire Farmers Association and Hay & District Farmers - merged.
The success story continued in the nineties, as a new pet and garden centre was opened in Brecon, and the Builth operation moved to Garth Road. Hay-on-Wye saw its cereal processing plant upgraded, and the biggest expansion for many years came in 2001, as the existing Penybont store was integrated into the new premises at Tremont Road in Llandrindod Wells.
As Hay & Brecon Farmers celebrated its centenary in 2002, there is a bright future ahead for the organisation. The formation of Castle Horse Feeds in 2001 is just another example of the co-operative's success.